Friday, April 17, 2015

Implementing a timeline of objects

Hi Folks,

I am playing around with Django and making a site for my motorcycling group.

I am trying to implement a timeline view and thought I would share my thoughts with you and get some feedback.

So far, I have a few models which can be user created. A user can add a 'bike' , or a 'place' or add 'tips' to the place. Now, I want this all to be shown in a single flow on a page. Lets say the URL for this is <mysite>/timeline.

I am trying to figure out which is the best way to aggregate this data. So, far I have been thinking of the following :
1. Create another object, which I can call "timeline" object, and when the save for any of the above objects is called, I also create a 'timeline' object, and populate with the pk and a choice_field item for the 3 models. I don't particularly like this as if I want to add a new object, I will need to make changes to multiple places.
2. I create a base model from which I derive these models. There are a few common fields for the timeline view which create the base model. However, I don't know how i can differentiate between the different model types when I implement the view & Template.
3. If there is a way to chain the objects together in a view. In this case, I don't have to change my current code much - but I could not figure out if this can be implemented.  Essentially, i do a get on the different models into a meta model , sort them by creation timestamp and render in the view.

What are your thoughts ?

V.

--
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. - Leonardo da Vinci
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. - Confucius

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CAPiONw%3DM7w0e3%3D7droYgXcDsirw0n3kxjfsC-2BEPSgE6WkcZA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment