Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Re: Need Help Moving Database to production server




On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 2:57 PM, Alex Mandel <tech_dev@wildintellect.com> wrote:
On 01/28/2014 08:15 AM, Mark Phillips wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 11:51 PM, Mike Dewhirst <miked@dewhirst.com.au>wrote:
>
>> On 28/01/2014 4:51pm, Mark Phillips wrote:
>>
>>> I have a django project running on my laptop. I have (finally) managed
>>> to get it to work with apache on a production server. However, I still
>>> have a problem. When I access the admin site and login as the superuser,
>>> I get "you don't have permission to do anything" message.
>>>
>>
>> I don't think this is a Django problem because the superuser doesn't need
>> any permissions.
>
>
> I am pretty sure it is a setup problem, from moving from development to
> production in a different machine.
>
>
>> Presumably this is after a successful login - you don't quite specify
>> this.
>
>
> Yes. I can login as the super user using the django admin login form, but I
> cannot edit or see any tables in the admin page. Just the you can't edit
> anything.
>
>>
>>
>>
>>> To migrate the database, I did a mysqldump to a file on the development
>>> machine, then added it to the mysql server running on the production
>>> machine. The only change was in the database name, none of the tables
>>> changed. Is this the problem? Or, am I missing something else.
>>>
>>
>> Did you also change the database name in your production settings.py?
>>
>
> Yes....or I would not be able to login.
>
>>
>> Otherwise, I'd suspect a mismatch somewhere. For my own setups I always
>> have the same user as the the database owner in Postgres and the superuser
>> in Django. Dunno whether that has shielded me from this sort of problem or
>> not.
>>
>
> I discovered the problem, but not the solution. I have the following lines
> in my urls.py -
>
> from django.contrib import admin
> admin.autodiscover()
>
> which work as expected in my development site. However, in my production
> site if I leave the admin.autodiscover() in the urls.py, I get this error
> message:
>
> ImproperlyConfigured at /inventory
> The included urlconf inventory_project.urls doesn't have any patterns in it
>
> When I comment out the admin.autodiscovery(), the site works as expected,
> except for the admin pages.
>
> So, what do I need to do to make admin.autodiscovery() work in my
> production site - Apache, mod_wsgi, and a virtual environment the same as
> my development machine?
>

Did you enable the admin in the settings.py and urls.py of the
production server?

As far as I know, I did. The code base runs on the development machine, and I did not make any changes to it for the production machine.  

Thanks,

Mark 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CAEqej2NFQbNZZHT_HUGQqWpAKoOpgMTFmJdhj0RAcaHcMHv03A%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment