Thursday, July 31, 2014

Data stats package and reporting help

I'm building a report builder for my Django app and could use a little advice.

My reports are fairly simple where I accumulate scores of data (easy enough) but then I want to alter the report totals by varying dimensions (date ranges / split dates/weeks/months / owners / other metadata etc.). Since I am working with Django Querysets, I have some options as to how I can query the data into one query set with joins where I can traverse the joins for my accumulating data. Or I can take multiple querysets and join them in my app manually which simplifies the queries somewhat (this optimization might come later when I load test the app). 

My data might look something like this:

Parent (with useful dimensional metadata) -> Child (with useful dimensional metadata) ->Child of child (accumulating data source, i.e. Counts to aggregate)

I see some stuff about Pandas, also Anaconda. I took a brief look at both and they definitely both sound more hardcore than I need, but then I don't feel like rolling my own axis/dimensional modelling logic if I can perhaps build a dataset and have the app do it for me. Which package is recommended for babby's first stat package that can meet my requirements? Ideally one that uses less resources as I plan to scale this app up quite a bit in production.

Also for whichever package recommended, where would I find some good basic tutorials on how to build my dataset and alter it for reporting purposes? I plan to build charts on the client-side front-end with HTML5/js/css.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/e70b70fa-abb1-4fd0-bb8b-3ec0497d9e80%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment