Monday, December 22, 2014

Re: Raw access to cache table

Hi Russel,

> Den 22/12/2014 kl. 00.40 skrev Russell Keith-Magee <russell@keith-magee.com>:
>
> If you *do* want to do complex queries on the database cache table, the approach suggested by Collin is as good an approach as any. A managed table will give you ORM operations over an arbitrary table - include Django's own internal tables.
>
> That said, I'll also concur that the database cache backend is the wrong answer here. If you're writing a cron script, the approach I've always used is PIDfile based lock

Thanks for taking the time to explain the design considerations for the cache mechanism.

I agree that using the cache to hold locks is a bit awkward, but DB transactions would be running way too long for my taste, and I can't use pidfile locks because my dataset can get updates from both cron jobs and my REST API. But I should probably take a hard look at my design again.

Erik

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/0D2D0B45-A5A7-454D-8173-5F71566AB3C8%40cederstrand.dk.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment