Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Fixing a poorly written Django website (no unit tests)

Hi,

I've been working on a Django website for about 2 months on and off and
am nearing the end of development work where I can start thinking about
making it look pretty and the after that deploy to production.

I've been doing lots of manual testing and I'm sure that the website
works correctly but due to the need to get the website in production
ASAP and my lack of unit testing experience with Django (I'm still not
entirely sure what the point of unit testing a 2 or 3 line Django view
is when you can clearly see if it is correct or not) I've neglected
automated testing.

While I'm still going to go ahead and launch the site in production as
soon as it is deployed I want to go back and add in all the unit tests
that are missing. How would you tackle this problem?

Most of the code is pretty simple but there are ecommerce elements that
I have tested extensively by running my code through the Python
debugger. These must always work.

I'm a bit ashamed that it has got this far but I'm mainly a C developer
and unit testing isn't pushed quite so hard there (even though it should
be).

Any help appreciated.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/54F6F431.2080800%40googlemail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment