Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Re: Migrate django project to eclipse/pydev ide

To your first question, in one word $money. I would love to use PyCharm but I am not a commercial developer and can't see paying the freight for most of the commercial packages. I applied for a free version of PyCharm and never heard back from them. The biggest complaint with Eclipse that I have heard is the size of the package. I have a half terabyte of storage, a four processor cpu and 4 gbytes of ram expandable to 16 gB. I don't care if the package is functional. I'm not much of a purist in these matters.

Your second question is harder. Every howto I looked at was different. I'm sure that this is due to version changes. Bu still. So lets take the one at http://www.pydev.org/faq.html#PyDevFAQ-HowdoIimportexistingprojects/sourcesintoPyDev? since I am importing existing Django projects into PyDev and the project has never been in Eclipse we try option 1.
File > New . PyDev File > New > PyDev Project wizard and select as the directory the directory with your sources. So:
File (OK) > New (No pydev project wizard show ) > Project > Select a wizard (only Pydev shown) > dropdown PyDev .> PyDev Django Project and hit next. And we get a whole page full of choices  that are not covered in the tutorial. The next section talks about importing and setting the PyDev Django Project and adding 2 string sub variables ((on right click project > properties > PyDev PYTHONPATH) . Of course I'm still back there with this window with all of the choices starting with Project Name (easy), Project content (not sure), several selections that are pretty obvious and then 4 selections like Create 'src' folder and add to PYTHONPATH, Create link to ..., etc . By this time IV'E LOST IT. I can bumble along and come up with something but have no idea weather it's correct. This could really bite me later. Ever single howto that I have looked at has the same problem. I can figure out things if the howto is close but when big chunks have been left out? I've managed to get through Tango With Rango even using python 3.4 and Django 1.8 with not too much trouble. But this!

Like I said before, I can't afford to spend money on a commercial product and hope someone can point me in the right direction with Eclipse / PyDev.

Any help will be sincerely appreciated

Gary R.


On 12/22/2015 04:05 PM, Andrew Farrell wrote:
Could you also tell us:
1) Why you need to switch to Eclipse specifically rather than PyCharmSublimeText, or (the one I use) Atom?
2) What error Eclipse is showing or what functionality is not working?

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 5:32 PM, Gary Roach <gary719_list1@verizon.net> wrote:
Hi all;

I have been working on a project for some time using Ninja-IDE. Unfortunately the development on Ninja has - for all practical purposes - stopped. It no longer works for me. I need to switch to Eclipse with the Pydev plugin and am having trouble finding out how to do this. I have looked at several howto's. So far I can follow them up to a point and then what shows up on the screen starts to depart from what's in the howto. The end result is that I can't finish the process. Also there is no mention of virtual environments. This worries me. I have multiple projects on my system.

I'm using:
Debian stretch Linux
Eclipse 3.8
pyDev 4.4.0
django 1.8,4
python 3.4
venv (not virtualenv) virtual environment
git with github repository
postgresql 9.4 dbms

Can someone point me in the right direction with this.

Gary R.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/django-users.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/5679DD71.708%40verizon.net.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/django-users.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CA%2By5TLb_ogeU-aV2OLfOENxJGxG0WkUdX0H_0eh--9kmARnb6Q%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment