Thursday, June 28, 2018

Isolated virtualenv and mod_wsgi - how do I do this on Apache

Hello all,
           For a  long time, this has perplexed me and I cannot find the answer.  It is a crucial recommendation for deploying Django (or any Python app for that matter) into production.
Here is the issue.  I have two web hosting accounts, one is VPS with ssh root access.  The other is shared hosting that specifically targets users of Python-based applications such as Django.  
It appears that the shared Python environment does not allow ssh access.  
            In all cases, a virtualenv is recommended for any Python deployment.  In both cases, I have Apache as the web server with mod_wsgi.  Obviously, I need the server, Apache, to activate the 
Django environment.  I can ssh to my VPS but what good is that.  I don't need my username to be activating the Python isolated environment.  As soon as I close the ssh session the activated environment
is no longer activated.  My best guess is that the Apache user must activate the virtual environment and keep it activated as an isolated virtual environment.  
            I have googled and googled for an answer to something so basic to deploying into production an isolated Python environment for Django (or any Python application) for that matter.  So, here is my best effort
to ask the question clearly.  How do I deploy into production a Django application following the best practice of using an isolated virtual environment that is activated even after I close my ssh session?

           Regarding the shared Python hosting, if I don't have ssh access I cannot even issue Pypi commands to install modules that I might need for my Django app.
Thanks,
Bruce

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/django-users.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/78f2b728-ae20-4daf-9d38-221f7487af05%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment