Friday, May 31, 2013

Re: django , python and ides

Sure thing :) I'll even give you the stuff that makes my prompt and all that:

$HOME/.bashrc (partial): http://collabedit.com/bnxfx

<virtualenv_path>/bin/postactivate: http://collabedit.com/6bvfr

$HOME/.screenrc-<project_name>: http://collabedit.com/kuj8d

Enjoy!

--
Joey "JoeLinux" Espinosa



On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Chris Lawlor <lawlor.chris@gmail.com> wrote:
Joey,

Would you be interested in sharing your virtualenvwrapper setup? I assume you're using some custom postactivate hooks, looks nice.

Chris


On Friday, 31 May 2013 14:23:23 UTC-4, JoeLinux wrote:

I've used both PyCharm and SublimeText extensively for months each at a time,

and I swap back and forth every now and then just to see how the other is doing.

PyCharm:

Pros vs Sublime:

- Everything in one package (almost)

- Debugging capabilities are excellent and built-in

-
Virtualenv support and library inspection

Sublime:

Pros vs PyCharm:

- Fast. Fast, fast, fast! Almost every shortcut/function/correction/refactoring/feature happens faster in Sublime than PyCharm (sometimes by orders of magnitude)

- Vintage (Sublime's Vim keymap) is WAY better than IdeaVIM (PyCharm's). Vim support is crucial for me.

- Fonts and colors and animations and basically anything your eyes can look at is ten times more pleasing to the eyes than in PyCharm (Java font rendering is laughably bad)


PyCharm cons:

- Slow

- If you quit/close/upgrade/kill while it's indexing, you'll screw it up and have to select "Invalidate Caches"

- Environment variables are not always handled correctly (this will really frustrate you sometimes), and you'll have to define them yourself, or toss them in your virtualenv's postactivate script

- Costs $99, with a $59 annual renewal fee


Sublime cons:

- You are responsible for your own environment (this means runserver, debugging, etc)

- Autocompletion does not always work the way you want it to (I've had snippets, Emmet, and CodeIntel conflict with each other many times)

- Costs $70 (though it's a one-time fee, compared to PyCharm... and you don't HAVE to pay to use it, as long as you ignore the occasional prompt)


One note about Sublime: the first "con" is a big one, because most people don't want to set up their development environment in pieces (I felt the same way at first). However, over time I've learned to love that very aspect, and I appreciate how everything works together better now. I am more content now to leave those programs that are good at something to do what they're good at, rather than let an IDE like PyCharm do it not-as-good (Mercurial support is virtually unusable, for instance). Instead, I've grabbed a few tips from around the web, come up with a few of my own, and now when I drop to the command line and type "workon <project_name>", I'll be greeted with a custom prompt, and a GNU Screen session with several open (and labeled) windows indicating to me what is available in each one (including a runserver, and a Python shell with my virtualenv/Django environment loaded and every installed app/model automatically imported). Looks something like this:


Inline image 1

(I blurred a few things out because I'm working on a project that isn't public yet)


The prompt shows me my user account and computer name, my current directory, and my current branch (works on both Mercurial and Git, so I don't have to do anything special depending on the scm tool I'm using). A little lightning bolt will show up next to the branch name to indicate that I have uncommitted changes, which is pretty cool. Also, it's multi-line, so I have the entire width of the terminal to work on.

The bottom bar is my "info bar". It has the name of the project on the left (or initials or whatever), then a list of windows and their names, my computer name, my system load, the date, and time.


So day-to-day, I now use SublimeText pretty much exclusively. Sometimes (rarely, but it does happen), I open up PyCharm, but usually only if I desperately need to debug Python variables in the middle of rendering a Django template. It's pretty good for that. Otherwise, Sublime is amazing.


Especially amazing if you watch this video in its entirety and learn about SublimeText thoroughly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ-bgcJ6fQo

HTH

--
Joey "JoeLinux" Espinosa
Python Developer
http://about.me/joelinux

On May 31, 2013 1:23 PM, "Nikolas Stevenson-Molnar" <nik.m...@consbio.org> wrote:
+1 for PyCharm. I know many here like Sublime Text also (though it's a
super text editor, not an IDE). Neither are open source, but both work
hard to earn the $$ you spend on them.

_Nik

On 5/31/2013 7:19 AM, Masklinn wrote:
> On 2013-05-31, at 12:54 , tony gair wrote:
>> Python and Django are not my first languages and currently I am using it
>> like I would a compiled language inside gedit on debian wheezy. I was
>> actually quite surprised to find a lot of people using it on windows and
>> macs when I went to my local python user group but enough digression!.
>> I was wondering if anyone using debian wheezy can recommend a nice ide
>> (hopefully opensource but if not then relatively inexpenisive) for django
>> and python?
> PyCharm works very well, though it's not open-source. Inexpensive is
> more of a relative judgement, I've found it worth the price and
> jetbrains regularly does sales on their products. YMMV.
>

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-users...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to django...@googlegroups.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment