Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Need Direction for Web App

I would like to create a web app / interface to manipulate and maintain my server's dhcpd.conf file. 
Background in Short:
I was asked a few years back to build a wifi network for approximately 500 users with unlimited devices. With no money (barely any money). Done. 
The only requirement/restriction is we use MAC address filtering. So I have a server, serving dhcp leases. I have to manually input each MAC address with a hostname and group. This is a terrible pain. Especially for the amount of users I have with unlimited devices. Christmas time is horrible because they all come in wanting new devices registered. 
I do have, at least, a web form through google which updates an excel sheet in google docs, which I then access, copy the MAC address, then using my server gui, add the new MAC to the dhcpd.conf file and restart the server. 
What I've done & What my hope is:
I have started the Django tutorial. I have dabbled with python. I am an enthusiast in training. I have very little to no experience. I can learn. Fast. I am just running into branches of "things to learn" and it's starting to be a little overwhelming. 
I hope to do the lion's share of creating a web app that will do the following:

1. Register a user using sqlite3 database I have already created for all users. 
2. Authenticate a user
3. Provide a display of registered devices for user to either delete or not delete
4. Provide a form to register a new device(s)
5. submit request, append to dhcpd.conf & restart dhcp server 

There is minutia I am not including in this cry for help

This app would help me gain some distance from this monumental task. 

Am I in the right place? Is there some special soul out there who wants to help a fella out? 

Many thanks to all who have read this.

Mike Roberts

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/4888cb72-9733-446b-b8b6-7546c2bf8f1a%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment