Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Re: Using version control with django

On 24/08/2016 5:42 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> I want to track django projects with subversion. (Single developer,
> local,
> so svn is better suited than the distributed git and mercurial.) I'd like
> advice on how to lay this out vis-a-vis the django layout.

I use svn too. I hope git is a passing fad.

My entire project is in trunk and I always deploy to the staging server
directly from trunk

I work on the project in the "mike" branch and that's what is used by
the dev server

I merge from mike into trunk and test before deploying to staging

When comfortable, I make a tag with the version number and deploy it to
production via a script on the production server which exports the named tag

My svn server is online so other devs can have their own branches. You
can branch trunk any time to work on a specific feature and merge it
back or discard as desired. I frequently branch from mike and so on.

I have the mike branch in a couple of virtualenv directories (for
pythons 2 and 3) and trunk lives in its own directory with py2.7 because
both servers run 2.7 (which has to stop before I go mad - gotta get to
3.x exclusively).

I never work on trunk directly but always on a branch and merge that in
for testing in trunk. If testing throws up a problem I revert the merge
and go back to work in the branch.

HTH

Mike
>
> Project overall root is ~/development/crm-project. This directory
> contains:
>
> Makefile README crm-project/ docs/ manage.py* requirements.txt
>
> The top-level project directory is the same-named crm-project, and this
> contains:
>
> __init__.py __pycache__/ settings.py urls.py
> __init__.pyc crm/ settings.pyc wsgi.py
>
> The app directory is crm/.
>
> So, where should I place trunk/, tags/, and branches/ be created? If
> they're in the overall project root (~/development/crm-project/) should I
> then move that directory's contents into the newly made trunk/
> subdirectory?
>
> I find nothing in my web searches for using svn with django. Perhaps my
> web foo is insufficient.
>
> Rich
>

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/django-users.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/1370e23f-1ae6-973c-1fde-d84409f4b580%40dewhirst.com.au.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment