Saturday, January 28, 2017

Re: Am I stupid or is there an essential error in Django 1.10 Docs?


If I could I would gladly rewrite the tutorial. But sadly I do not have enough time to do so.
However I think it is bad since it not only completely disregards the zen of py but also its own principles (DRY etc.) If you need concrete examples I can name you tons.
A quick one is e.g. that there is no explanation of what a view is and what its purpose is.
Also there is literally in part three: "But, don't do that. It's silly.". If I should not do it then do not mention in a beginners tutorial…
Another example here is the "shortcut" render() function. It is a beginners tutorial so I do not expect an in-depth explanation of any way possible but only the easiest one.
For a beginner it would be much more easy to simply user render() from the beginning on and later show cases where render() is not sufficient to do the job.
By far the best tutorial I yet had was of pygame. One well documented example and the docs were enough to teach me how it works.

On a side-note (this is only personal preference):
I do not like that the tutorial is part of the documentation.
A tutorial should never be a documentation. A documentation should capture anything you can do with the framework.
However a tutorial should only show you one way (and also the easiest) of doing of one certain task.

Am Freitag, 27. Januar 2017 20:50:39 UTC+1 schrieb Melvyn Sopacua:

https://github.com/django/django/pulls

 

The tutorial has a very logical order, going from the database abstraction up to the template layer and beyond. But feel free to rewrite it and submit it to the project.

 

I never follow tutorials to the letter - for example back when I did it in Django 1.3, my polls app had an ip-based rate limiter tucked onto existing code - but it certainly is one of the top tutorials for a framework I've seen.

 

On Friday 27 January 2017 10:27:46 'Peter Müller' via Django users wrote:

> What do you mean by PR?

>

> Am Freitag, 27. Januar 2017 18:32:23 UTC+1 schrieb Melvyn Sopacua:

> > On Monday 16 January 2017 07:49:00 'Peter Müller' via Django users wrote:

> > > Also I used the tutorial just that I abstracted the concept since

> > > I

> > >

> > > think the tutorial is more than bad.

> >

> > Awaiting your PRs.

> >

> >

> > Melvyn Sopacua

 

--

Melvyn Sopacua

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/django-users.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/6c24f788-7a60-4118-96d7-58c52376bb30%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment