Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Re: A lot of Problems with Migrating (conceptual)

Thanks James,
I'm actually starting over from scratch instead of actually refactoring so the accounts app is the only real app I have so far. I actually did delete the database and just apply migrations to the newly created database and it worked ok. I'd like to get better at fixing these migration problems though since I'll probably run into a lot of them and wont be able to delete the database once I have data.

Do you think it would have been better to run migrations for the specific accounts app? I thought it wouldnt matter much since accounts is my only app I have so far.

My new structure so far looks like this

business_management/
    business_management/
        accounts/
            migrations/
            __init__.py
            admin.py
            forms.py
            models.py
            tests.py
            views.py
        static/
        templates/
    config/
        settings/
            __init__.py
            base.py
            local.py
            production.py
        __init__.py
    docs/
        (developer documentation)
    requirements/
        (requirements.txt files)
    utility/
        (shell scripts)
    manage.py
    .gitignore




On Tuesday, August 29, 2017 at 3:35:21 PM UTC-6, James Schneider wrote:


On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 7:13 AM, Alexander Joseph <alexander...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm not specifying the app level, I'm just running "python manage.py makemigrations --settings=config.settings.local"  and  "python manage.py migrate --settings=config.settings.local"
I'm not modifying the migrations files and I dont have an app with the label of admin, thats just the built-in admin. Thanks


I know you were doing a lot of refactoring. Did you rename the accounts app after performing an initial migration (applying an old migration with the old app name structure)? It sounds like your DB and your migration files might be out of sync. If you don't have any production data, I would recommend deleting and recreating the entire database, and deleting and recreating your migrations so that all the migrations are run in the correct order.

If you do have data you want to keep, then very likely you now have a ton of work to do writing custom migrations to sync everything back up manually. 

-James

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/django-users.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/0686084f-1d5a-4f61-823e-7d84c58f317c%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment