Saturday, November 18, 2017

Re: Django field model for HTML parser?

What you're trying to look for is a WYSIWYG editor (What You See Is What You Get), and there are a number of third party packages you can look at https://djangopackages.org/grids/g/wysiwyg/

ckeditor is one of the largest and most popular such projects, and has integration with django via https://github.com/django-ckeditor/django-ckeditor


On Friday, November 17, 2017 at 9:21:57 PM UTC-5, drone4four wrote:

I didn't do a very good job explaining.  Let me try again.


If you take a look at this image of Blogger, the red arrow points to the formatting bar.  The formatting is a helpful feature in Blogger which allows blog posters to add an essay worth of content, and then alter the appearance of the Lorem Ipsum essay content with bold, italics, underline and a few dozen other buttons and options.


Then when you click the HTML button in the Blogger dashboard, it shows you the same Lorem Ipsum content, but just the raw HTML source.


My Django admin panel when creating a new blog post just accepts plain text.  No HTML markup formatting.  Here is a pic of my Django dashboard with a red arrow pointing to where I am hoping to add an HTML formatting bar. Or does Django not have an HTML formatting menu feature helping blog contributors to format their content?  I can't find it in the model field type / option doc that I linked to in my original post.

Thank you.

On Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 10:41:31 PM UTC-5, Amitesh Sahay wrote:
The HTML file in Django is parsed through views.py if that is what you are looking for. For Italics <em> tag should work. For strong text, you may use <strong> tag. I hope that I have understood your question correctly.

Hello,

Regards,
Amitesh Sahay

primary :: 91-907 529 6235



On Thursday 16 November 2017, 6:51:03 AM IST, drone4four <drone...@gmail.com> wrote:


The contents of my models.py looks like this:

from django.db import models


# Create your models here.
class Post(models.Model):
        title
= models.CharField(max_length=256)
        pub_date
= models.DateTimeField()
        image
= models.ImageField(upload_to='media/')
        body
= models.TextField()


       
def __str__(self):
           
return self.title


       
def pub_date_pretty(self):
           
return self.pub_date.strftime('%A %d %B %Y @ %-I:%M:%S %p')


       
def summary(self):
           
return self.body[:350]

Lines 5 through 8 initiate the model class variables for my blog dashboard. My dashboard looks like this. There is a title, pub date, image and body. The Udemy instructor suggests consulting the official Django doc for field types/options. I'm not sure I really understand most of it. There is just so much information there. My question for all of you: Which field option or field type initiates an HTML parser for body text? I mean, when I go to to create a new blog post, how do I create rich text with HTML formatting buttons like bold, underline and italics? It's not really the buttons I care about. I just want my HTML tags to parse. Take note of the HTML tags I've circled in red here. How do I get the h5, hr and em to parse? Is there a field option/type for this? I don't see it in the models fields doc.

Thanks for your attention.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-users...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to django...@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/django-users.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/d387add4-9859-4410-a882-cf98ee3a6278%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/django-users.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/47c53bda-e2ab-40e1-8b1e-ee6eeb2e5316%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment