Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Re: A view associated with a lot of urls

>No I don't know what your business logic for the view/model would be.
>I was just showing an example of how you could take keywords from your
>request url and map them to your models to display results to the user
>without having to hard-code them in your urls or settings or whatever.

Oh okay :) I'll test with dicts and lists to see if it that works
well.


>Again it's however you want to model your data. For the sake of
>normalization (and typing/database size/etc) I'd probably have one
>model for categories:

Yes me too. Plus I totally forgot to say that I use a NoSQL database,
so I'll put every item directly in the category 'table'.

Thanks for your help !
Nolhian

On Nov 29, 10:22 pm, DrBloodmoney <drbloodmo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Nolhian <Eldur...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks !
>
> > So you'll not check if the category/item exists ( if a user enter a
> > bad url ), you'll just hit the database to check if it does in fact
> > exists ?
>
> No I don't know what your business logic for the view/model would be.
> I was just showing an example of how you could take keywords from your
> request url and map them to your models to display results to the user
> without having to hard-code them in your urls or settings or whatever.
>
> > However with that, there is no way for example to make a difference
> > between "there is no items in this category" and "this category
> > doesn't exist" !
>
> > Well that could be a solution but only 1 collection for a lot of
> > different unrelated categories seems really odd to me, why not a model
> > per category ?
>
> Again it's however you want to model your data. For the sake of
> normalization (and typing/database size/etc) I'd probably have one
> model for categories:
>
> class Category(models.Model):
> ...
>
> class Item(models.Model):
>     category = models.ForeignKey(Category, related_name='items')
> ...
>
> and so forth.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment