Friday, January 30, 2015

using Django on an existing mysql schema

‎Hello,

I am new to Django and planning to use it for a project I have in mind. I am strong in mysql, but not too good in developing. In fact, the secondary purpose of this project is to improve my python development skills.

With such a background, I went about doing my data modeling and then set up views on top to de normalize the underlying schema and pushing most of the business logic in mysql. I want to use Django mainly to insert and display, which increases the chance of success with few bugs.

Problem is, with Django, it seems things are done the other way around. After playing with it, I noticed it changes the keys from unsigned to signed, something I feal is bad from database point of view. It converted enum to char, which to me is less appealing. In short, I don't like the change its introducing. ‎

My question is, can one use Django with an existing database without getting in trouble with the framework? I believe this has to be possible somehow as most companies work from data backwards. Would appreciate a good advice on how you guys and girls went‎ about using Django from existing schema. Or a Django book that take that perspective. The once I have read advice me to leave database work to orm.

Regards,

William


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/20150130144722.6033553.12834.14799%40gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment