Saturday, July 31, 2010

Re: moving to django 1.2.1

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 9:45 PM, Michael P. Soulier
<msoulier@digitaltorque.ca> wrote:
> On 30/07/10 tiemonster said:
>
>> I cover some of the new changes in Django 1.2 in this article:
>> http://www.tiemonster.info/a/24005/
>>
>> Most of this information comes straight from the changelist. Others
>> were things that the core developers must have assumed were common
>> sense, but that I didn't think about when upgrading. If you run across
>> anything that's not on the list, let me know and I'll update the
>> article.
>
> That's helpful, thanks. What would be more helpful is backwards compatability
> in Django. Now I have to sell the upgrade to my peers at work, since work will
> be involved.

Ok - I'm repeating myself here, but we take backwards compatibility
*very* seriously. If anyone can point at a specific backwards
incompatible change that was introduced in Django 1.2, then that is a
bug that we need to address, and would in all likelihood be a trigger
for a new point release.

It has been my experience that you can upgrade from 1.1 to 1.2 without
any code changes. If your project was written against Django 1.0,
upgrading to 1.2 will cause some noisy warnings to be raised (about
features that have been on the deprecation path since 1.1 -- most
notably, the way of importing admin urls), but your code will still
work as is. This has also been the experience of others that I have
spoken to.

The only work is required is if you take the opportunity of the
upgrade to introduce some of the new features from Django 1.2 -- such
as CSRF protection, multiple databases, or cookie-based/anonymous
messaging. However, these are entirely optional activities. The only
change I would encourage you to make is the CSRF changes, and that's
purely for your own security. In my experience (and I've heard similar
stories from others), a reasonably large site can be migrated to use
the new CSRF protection in a matter of hours, especially if you've
been a good developer and you have lots of unit tests.

So - I would kindly ask that anyone who has what they feel is a
backwards incompatibility problem to reduce that issue to a
reproducible test case and submit a ticket. If they've already done so
and the ticket hasn't received any attention, then please speak up. To
the best of my knowledge, Django 1.2 has no backwards compatibility
issues.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment