Friday, April 29, 2011

Re: Question about "Django 1.1 Testing and Debugging" Book for Karen

Hi Karen,

Ah, very sorry - my mistake! The machine I was using had an old
version of python and it was using django 1.0. So that's why it
didn't create tests.py, and I just assumed there must be a bunch of
changes between 1.1 and 1.2.

Ok, mystery solved. Thanks for your explanation of the differences, I
will look out for those. I'm sure I'll learn a lot from your book.
I've just completed a large django project and am moving onto my first
real position in web application development (using django of course)
at a new company. Previously I was in a different field of software
and created a django product to bootstrap myself on web app
development there. The one thing I feel that I could have done
better on my recent project was my testing. I used selenium
extensively (and that did work well for me), but I did not test from
inside the core django framework much, so I am looking forward to
learning from your book.

Thanks!

Margie

On Apr 29, 4:40 am, Karen Tracey <kmtra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 6:18 PM, Margie Roginski
> <margierogin...@yahoo.com>wrote:
>
>
>
> > I have a bit of time on my hands and was going to run through your
> > book to cement my understanding of the best way to test.  I started
> > out and was immediately confronted with the fact that there seem to be
> > some differences between django 1.1 and django 1.2 in terms of
> > testing. At a minimum, it seems that tests.py doesn't get even get
> > created by startapp anymore!
>
> No, the sample tests.py file is still created in by startapp in Django 1.2,
> 1.3, and current trunk code. That hasn't changed since it was added (we were
> remarking at the office a week or so ago that Django devs are going to be
> the first to know if and when 1+1 no longer equals 2). What exactly led you
> to the conclusion that tests.py is no longer created by 1.2?
>
> Going forward to 1.3, there is a difference in the tests.py file created:
> the sample tests file no longer contains a doctest in 1.3. For Django's own
> test suite there was a big push during the 1.3 cycle to rewrite all doctests
> as unit tests, and although doctests in apps are still fully supported,
> there's a general consensus among the core team that unit tests are a better
> tool, so the sample doctest was removed in 1.3 in order to encourage users
> also more towards unit tests than doctests. But as I said doctests are still
> supported for apps, so all the sample doctests in the book can still be
> tried even in more recent Django versions.
>
> > In some quick review of the 1.2 doc, it seems like perhaps there are
> > other changes as well.
>
> The biggest change in testing between 1.1 and 1.2 was that 1.2 introduced a
> new feature to allow easier creation of custom test runners. In the part of
> the book that discusses this topic, that is mentioned.
>
> There are bigger changes with 1.3, with the introduction of unittest2. But
> the fundamentals of testing that the book attempts to convey are still the
> same, it just won't be able to point out some of the newer features that are
> now available.
>
> There is no update of the book (nor anything planned). It was written during
> the 1.2 development cycle. The last chance I had to make any changes to the
> text was when 1.2 was in late beta, and that is when I did add notes about
> things that had definitely changed between 1.1 and 1.2 (like the custom test
> runner stuff).
>
> Karen
> --http://tracey.org/kmt/

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment