Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Re: Helping someone move from Joomla to Django

On Sep 28, 9:58 am, Kevin <kveron...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   I have a friend who is doing website design, not any backend
> programming tasks.  He actually would like me to do the backend
> coding.  The unfortunate case is that he is currently using Joomla,
> which I know almost nothing about, and the apps/plugins for it are not
> reusable in other website frameworks, not even other PHP frameworks,
> icky!  I really enjoy Django because if you create a reusable app, and
> say use Pinax, it will most likely work as well in say Django-CMS or
> another CMS build on top of Django and Python.
>
>   This question is really for anyone who has previously used Joomla
> and knows how the editor works for web designers and content
> managers.  I have seen and used it's site manager only a few times.  I
> took a look at both Pinax and Django-CMS.  After looking at Django-
> CMS, it has a similar feel to that of Joomla with in page editing and
> is overall very simple for a content manager/web designer.  It's also
> very straight forward and supports a lot right out of the box.
>
>   My current task with my friend is to create a music player, I have
> been working with jPlayer recently and finding out how I can integrate
> it with Joomla, haven't took too much time yet.  I'm quiet happy about
> that choice now, since Django-CMS actually has a plugin just for this
> player.
>
>   How would you recommend I go about this task of moving my friend
> over to a Django/Python based system over a Joomla/PHP based system?
> How easy will it be to say convert a Joomla template to a Django
> compatible one?  This will be another issue, is template management.
> Since there is really no standard for website templates, every CMS/
> framework uses it's own system.  I believe Joomla's templates even
> embed PHP code directly into the template itself, another icky.
>
>   I am going to pitch the idea and use the jPlayer plugin for Django-
> CMS as a sweet spot.  I'm also tempted on copying over all the
> existing content to a Django-CMS site to show him how it will look and
> feel.
>
>   He is requesting some other interesting features, which apparently
> someone else is working on implementing, and it's actually taking this
> other person a few days, or maybe weeks to add.  Where I know I can
> implement it in Django in a matter of hours.  If the other person is a
> PHP programmer, me pitching this idea may scare the other person.  PHP
> programmers are sometimes very proud and are hard to turn.  I, myself
> used to be like this, that is until I found myself getting byte by a
> huge Python, it's venom changed my life entirely.  I saw the light.
>
>   What is everyone elses opinions on development in Django verses a
> rival CMS such as Joomla?  Just looking at how the Joomla source tree
> is scares me from even looking at how to code anything in it.  After
> using Django for awhile, I like how nicely everything is organized.

First up, I am not a PHP/Joomla programmer... but some of my good
friends are/were PHP-junkies!

I really think you have mostly answered your own questions here. It's
your own experience, and your ability to compare both tools/systems,
that gives you the insight you need. For example, you say "it's
actually taking this other person a few days, or maybe weeks to add.
Where I know I can implement it in Django in a matter of hours." So,
do it. 'A few lines of solid code is worth a thousand powerpoint
presentations.' If your friend currently believes PHP is "the best",
you won't convert him by saying "Django is better" (this is not how
programmers think...). What you can do is say "wouldn't it be cool to
try something new for a change ... but you can always go back to PHP
later?" Challenge (or work with) him to try and do the template
conversion, for example - diving in is the best way to learn, and you
may even end up with an article to sell to an online magazine, or at
least a blog post or two to impress your fellows. Working with him
allows you to easily answer all the small issues that always pop-up
when trying to learn an unfamiliar tool/system, and helps ensure that
these are not road-blocks on the path to "enlightenment".

My 2c!
Derek

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment