Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Re: Migrating old users into custom user model

Hi Carl, 

Thanks for your reply.
If I figure it out I would surely submit doc, but it's more likely that I will just come up with a workaround.

Starting a project with a custom user model every time just to avoid this doesn't feel so great since the documentation just says things like  "probably don't use a custom user model, even though its supported, use 1-1 profile instead"
But then later on the track requirements can change and you need a custom model but its very difficult to migrate.



On Wednesday, August 26, 2015 at 9:59:37 AM UTC+12, Carl Meyer wrote:
Hi Ben,

On 08/25/2015 03:33 PM, Ben Wattie wrote:
> I have an existing project with migrations, datamigrations and I need a
> custom user model now, not just 1-1 profile so I created one.

Unfortunately, while this is technically possible (I haven't done it
myself, but I know at least one person who says they have), it's very
complex and requires a fair amount of familiarity with the migrations
system and use of the advanced SeparateDatabaseAndState operation. And
nobody, AFAIK, has written documentation on how to do it.

I don't believe this is really an acceptable state of affairs, so I've
filed https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/25313 to at least clearly
acknowledge that it _ought_ to be fixed. I don't know when I'll get a
chance to work on it myself (not real likely unless I revisit an old
project, because nowadays I _always_ start every project with a custom
User model, to avoid this problem). Maybe the ideal scenario here is
that you figure it out and then write the docs on how it's done :-)

Sorry I can't give you a better answer,

Carl

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/7a22af3d-46d9-4b3b-aa51-368c6d0089eb%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment