Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Re: Chat application in Django

Hi,

@Jeff, Erlang! Pretty surprised to see that.
@Alexander, doesn't work :( - or might be I am not able to get it..
@David, cool I'll try this, but will this work using mod_python / Apache?
@ebry1,
Imagine 10000 people live chatting, that means 10000 requests per
second, but in real world, only 3000 messages might have been
delivered. (as example). Polling will bring your net throughput of the
server to almost one tenth.

@all,
Can you suggest me the side effects of using Sockets via 1x1px flash
applet embedded on the page? Apart from the fact that flash is
required.

Thanks

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 5:23 AM, ebry1 <stenius@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am interested in this problem too, I need to pass some additional
> data along side chat messages.
>
> Why did you decide to abandon polling?  I was thinking of thinking of
> using it and updating about twice a second.
>
>
>
> On Aug 31, 6:34 am, Shamail Tayyab <pleoma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>    I am working on a chat application in Django, how can I ensure that I
>> do not have to poll the server for any chat data.
>>
>> Possible approaches that I've been to:
>>
>> 1. BAD - use polling.
>>
>> 2. Use long polling - bad approach afa browser support is concerned.
>>
>> 3. Using sockets in flash - makes the application flash dependent.
>>
>> Is there some good way to do this? Or if there is something Django
>> specific? Something like HTTPBinding or any 3rd party tested libraries?
>> I am expected to provide support till IE6. :-(
>>
>> Correct me if I am wrong, flash is available on 95% of the systems, this
>> approach looks like safest bet, is it good to go?
>>
>> Btw, how does Gmail and FB chat works?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>> Shamail Tayyab
>> Blog:http://shamail.in/blog
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
> To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.
>
>

--
Shamail Tayyab
Blog: http://shamail.in/blog

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment