Friday, July 31, 2015

Re: Re. My Django Book.

Since I am grinding my way through the learning process right now I thing I have some fairly pithy comments to contribute. It seems that no two tutorials do things the same way. I got bogged down in Two  Scoops because I needed a more detailed cookbook approach. Tango With Django is the best except it is written for Django 1.7. There is a serious break between how 1.7 and 1.8 handle template files in the settings.py file. I still haven't recovered from this. Initial setup made me pull my hair out by the roots (and I can't afford to loose much more). Some suggestions:
      If your using a database other than the built in SQLite set it up first.
      Setup virtualenv and virtualenvmapper next.
      Do everything else inside of virtualenv.
      Install Django with pip (virtualenv active)
Then start a tutorial. The Django documentations tutorial seemed to be very good until it segued into a long trites on API setup. Really annoying. I just wanted to get the basic system set up. That said, the official tutorial may still be your best bet. Good luck.

Gary R


On Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 1:35:16 PM UTC-7, Steve Burrus wrote:
 Say I was wondering if anyone else has ever read this particulkar Django book called "Sams Teach Yourself Django in 24 Hours" I checked out of the library yesterday? [yeah I know it's one of the "24 hours" series] Does it really teach the beginner a lot of things concerning Django?


   

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/5f6624d8-d7f5-47a5-9088-b528b16bbe7d%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment