Monday, July 29, 2013

Re: Django 1.5 Feature Suggestion

My apologies for not making this quickly accessible. I meant to stick the link in there but it didn't make it into my previous post. It's been a long day. Here it is:

https://github.com/Liberationtech/django-libtech-emailuser

JJ

On Monday, July 29, 2013 9:07:43 PM UTC-4, Russell Keith-Magee wrote:

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 8:37 AM, JJ Zolper <codin...@gmail.com> wrote:
Russell Keith-Magee,

Are you the one who is doing "Getting Started With Django" ? Sorry for getting off topic but just was curious. If so I donated money to that project and I am glad you are doing it.

Sorry, that's not me. You're thinking of Kenneth Love (@kennethlove on twitter).
 
Yes, that's what it seems to be called by other Django devs, "Email address as username." I prefer more to think of it as just "Email" with the same exact login handlign as "Username." That's my goal with this post is keep pushing until the point is reached where we can just call it "Email" login. I also think it is such a common case that it should be within Django's core. It is obvious from the large number of posts online about replacing the username with an email.

A lot of those posts will be from pre-1.5 days; having the ability to easily use an email address as a username was one of the primary motivations behind introducing swappable users as a new feature. It was always possible; in Django 1.5, it's a lot easier; the next step is to make it trivial by having a custom user model for that purpose available in the box.

If you have heard Jacob discussing it before, that would be wonderful! It would be awesome if the Django guys accepted this into Django all together. Given it must be considered with the release of Django 1.5 they did give a lot more support to people like me trying to have the email as the username through things like:

class CustomUser(AbstractBaseUser, PermissionsMixin):       ....       email = models.EmailField(max_length=255, unique=True)       ....         objects = CustomUserManager()         USERNAME_FIELD = 'email'

So maybe Jacob and Adrian are already on top of this.

Jacob and Adrian are only "on top of it" in the sense that Jacob has said it's a good idea. I wouldn't hang around waiting for either of them to commit such a patch -- they're both busy, and don't spend a lot of time committing to Django itself these days. 
 
The only thing I have been trying to do is follow the suggestions of those posts I have found online. I could surely route some possible people I think might have already banged this out but I'm not sure I'm the best bet. However, I did go ahead and open a ticket:


Thanks again to all the Django developers for their hard work,

Thanks for opening a ticket and driving the discussion. I've added some comments to the ticket and marked it as accepted; next step is a patch :-)

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment