Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Re: Choosing MySQL or PostGres on Heroku

On 28/11/2019 10:33 am, Tim Johnson wrote:
> Using python 3.7.2, Django 2.1.5 on Linux development workstation with
> deployment to Heroku.
>
> I retired several ago, primarily coding in python and mostly working
> in legacy CGI systems with MySQL backends and still use mysql on my
> workstation.
>
> I am now essentially a hobbyist who wishes to use a django website to
> publish articles, memoirs and essays.
>
> Some have urged me to convert to PostGresql as it is "baked into"
> heroku. However, my comfort level is with mysql.
>
> Given my situation I'd welcome any reason why I should convert to
> postgresgl. I am not interested in stirring up controversy. Should
> there be a pressing reason to convert to PG I'd sooner do it now than
> when I've a couple of hundred articles published.
>
> Any insights would be appreciated.

I use PostgreSQL and PGAdmin and find it brilliant. I have also used
MySQL and phpMyAdmin in the past and occasionally helping other more
recently. There is no comparison in my view. PG is far better. There is
plenty of research out there which supports PG over MySQL but my own
experience is simply non-negative (no problems) for PG and since I no
longer use it , inconclusive for MySQL.

I no longer (since last century) have PHP on any of my servers and that
is that.

However, routine examination of server logs shows that most hacking
attempts target phpMyAdmin and other known php weaknesses. I'm not
saying that avoiding php makes my servers more secure just that hackers
seem to love probing phpMyAdmin.

Also, Django seems to expect PostgreSQL and other DBMSs require extra
effort or extra documentation to avoid known problems.

YMMV but my advice is PostgreSQL.

Mike

>
> thanks
>

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/6ab84f74-df44-bd65-913b-a47bbd0768f6%40dewhirst.com.au.

No comments:

Post a Comment