Saturday, November 30, 2019

Re: Which Cloud Service Provider should be chosen to host Django Application

Thanks a million ke1g!

That was really helpful. I am definitely going to use PostgreSQL now.

Only one question remains. I'm willing to deploy my site in any reasonably priced virtual server hosting. You mentioned using VPS means I can install what I want.

So does that mean - it doesn't matter which version of Django (i.e. Django 2.2.5) I use for the site development, they will all be equally supported inside a VPS hosting plan?

Also, what is the least complicated, least technically challenging Django hosting option for a beginner like me?

Thanks again

Deb


On Saturday, November 30, 2019 at 8:01:15 PM UTC+5:30, ke1g wrote:

SQLite is fine for development, but, unless things have changed, it is single threaded, and unsuitable for a production environment.  Most folks seem to go for MySQL, though the fork MariaDB is usually preferred no that Oracle owns MySQL.  I prefer PostgreSQL (or just Postgres) because I think that it comes closest to the SQL standard and is competitive in other respects.  Any of these have to be "administered" (though is many cases the provider helps with this), so if this is for a toy installation, SQLite may be OK.

SQLite, however, is built into Python these days, and even in older Python versions it was just a pop install, so providers can't squawk about the version.  But shared hosting (as opposed to virtual server) will mean that a particular python version is installed, and the SQLite version in that version of Python is what you are going to get.  But SQLite handles queries written for older versions well, and you will wind up with a quite recent version, so you are unlikely to be using any features that are too new for the installed version.

Virtual server hosting means that you can install what you want, but does mean that you will be administering the whole OS as well as the database, the http server, and even the version of Python, installing new versions when there are security updates, etc.

I, personally, haven't used any of the providers that you mentioned.  The last time I deployed on a shared host I used WebFaction, and was quite satisfied.  Today I use Linode, who provide a virtual server, and are also quite satisfactory (though you must, last time I checked, use Linux, which I consider a plus).



On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 9:02 AM Debabrata Chakraborty <debobr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm a beginner Django developer. So my apologies in advance for newbie like questions.

I am building my site with " Django version 2.2.5 " and " SQLite 3.30 " in back-end. My question is -

# Do services like "Heroku", "Digital Ocean", "Python Anywhere" and "AWS" - have limitation on which version of Django  or which DBMS I can use?

I've seen this before with PHP/MySQL hosting where some hosting companies will limit which version of PHP or MySQL one can use. Is the same applicable to Django hosting in the above mentioned hosting platforms as well?

I will very much grateful if you can help me out with this confusion.

Best

Deb

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/e0918e60-bdf4-4721-a931-1e030d697558%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment