Thursday, May 29, 2014

Re: Django and Rails

Thanks everyone.  You've confirmed what I have suspected. Also, an MIT CS prof. suggested today to stick to python/django.  Rails may be fast and cool, but that it may offer too much "magic" to really know what's going on and debug if needed.  For a newbie like me, I need explicit guidance and clear thinking. Maybe when I reach django ninja status, I can try other more esoteric frameworks.


On Thursday, May 29, 2014 9:36:05 AM UTC-4, willyhakim wrote:
Django learning curve might be steeper than Rails, but it will make you a better web dev in the long run. Check out realpython.com and maybe start by getting a solid foundation on python


On Wednesday, May 28, 2014 10:55:58 PM UTC-5, Enrique Shadah wrote:
Hi all,

I am learning Django after trying once with Rails. As I am a newbie to software development, Rails seemed more obscure and difficult to digest. I chose to learn Django because Python is easier to understand than Ruby (at least to me) and because I thought it had a bigger or more enthusiastic community to learn from.

However, I am finding that Django has some limitations Rails does not.  One is that its community is fading (or at least it feels that way).  Another is that Rails seems to be better at automating mundane tasks (staying true to the DRY principle). For example, rake db migrate can add/subtract fields on table without writing any sql.  Django can add fields and tables with syncdb, but if I need to subtract fields or change whether the field is required or not, I am faced to writing sql.  This seems pretty silly given that new site is constantly changing, thus models will suffer many changes as users suggest/reject features. 

These are just two limitations off the top of my head.  I am sure Django is awesome, but could anyone share their views on whether I should just learn Rails off the bat instead of going the Django then Rails route?

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/f3487048-480b-4ee9-a27a-6a7976e18548%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment