Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Re: relations

I would start by defining Supplier in your models.py, then Shipment with a ForeignKey reference to Supplier

I'm assuming (forgive me if I'm wrong) that not only can a shipment have many species, but a species can be in many shipments, so if that's the case, the most obvious way is to go with ManyToMany for that relationship

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/4.0/topics/db/examples/many_to_many/

class Supplier(models.Model):
    (etc..etc..)

class Shipment(models.Model):
    supplier = models.ForeignKey(
        Supplier,
        on_delete=models. (...etc.. etc...)

class Species(models.Model):
    shipment = models.ManyToManyField(
        Shipment,
        (etc..)
On Monday, January 24, 2022 at 8:59:10 AM UTC-5 frank...@gmail.com wrote:
I have tried several different ways but I cannot seem to get this right.  What I have is a list
of suppliers.  Each supplier can have many shipments and each shipment can have many species.  Seems simple enough but apparently I must be more simple.

I need a suggestion of how to relate these table.

a supplier can have many shipment.  A shipment can have many species.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/bc667e81-ce32-4df5-8f88-47dff3d852c8n%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment