Friday, October 29, 2010

table namespace hygiene: should I try to rename auth_* tables, or should I use a separate database?

django 1.2, python 2.6, mysql 5.1, etc.

I am sharing a database with others on my project, and I would like to
keep the table namespace neat and tidy.

After poking around the archives for a while, I can't see any good way
to specify names other than the default auth_group,
auth_group_permissions, etc. for the auth module.

I don't want my tables to get confused with someone else's. "auth" is
unfortunately a very generic prefix. One can imagine lots of people
making tables named auth_something.

Is this renaming something that can be done in a reasonable way?

If not, I could create a new database, and devote it to the django
stuff. Is that a good solution? Are there significant disadvantages to
using a separate mysql database just for the django stuff? Is there
maintenance overhead for the dba? (I don't know.) Are there any
disadvantages, say, to doing trans-database joins, or having trans-
database key constraints, vs. within a single database?

Does anyone see any other optimal ways to keep my table namespace
clean?

Thanks
Alex

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment