Friday, December 30, 2011

Re: django-admin.py startproject will NOT work.

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 1:32 AM, Chris Kavanagh <ckava3@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm using WinXP, Python27, django 1.3.1.
>
> When I try django-admin.py startproject mysite, I get a "Usage django-
> admin.py subcommand [options] [args]" listing of commands instead of
> starting the project in mysite folder. . .I've tried every workaround
> I've found on Google & on this site. I've put C:\Python27\Lib\site-
> packages\django\bin in my Env Variable Path, I've changed the registry
> setting HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\python.exe\shell\open\command
> to PYDIR\\python.exe" "%1" %*. I've typed in the full path in the
> command line (python django-admin.py startproject mysite) & nothing
> works. And yes, I set it up using python setup.py install.
>
> Any suggestions or other work arounds??? I'm at my wits end!!! Thanks
> for any help.

The safest, OS-independent and interpreted language-independent way to
get a script like django-admin to run is to simple use:

path\to\the\interpreter\binary path\to\the\script

In your case it could be:

C:\python27\python C:\path\to\django-admin startproject foo

or, if you have C:\python27 in the PATH, simply:

python C:\path\to\django-admin startproject foo

This is particularly true and useful in platforms like Windows where
there is no robust/official way to associate a scripting language source
code file to signal the OS which interpreter binary should process and
execute it (like the #!/path/to/python line in Unix).

There are a handful of third party solution and tricks (like the ones
you tried) but from the number of times this topic appears in mailing
lists IMHO it is evident they only muddle the landscape and/or break
things.

Regards,

--
Ramiro Morales

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment