Friday, December 30, 2011

Re: django-admin.py startproject will NOT work.

On Dec 30, 8:10 am, Ramiro Morales <cra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 1:32 AM, Chris Kavanagh <cka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi, I'm using WinXP, Python27, django 1.3.1.
>
> > When I try django-admin.py startproject mysite, I get a "Usage django-
> > admin.py subcommand [options] [args]" listing of commands instead of
> > starting the project in mysite folder. . .I've tried every workaround
> > I've found on Google & on this site. I've put C:\Python27\Lib\site-
> > packages\django\bin in my Env Variable Path, I've changed the registry
> > setting HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\python.exe\shell\open\command
> > to PYDIR\\python.exe" "%1" %*. I've typed in the full path in the
> > command line (python django-admin.py startproject mysite) & nothing
> > works. And yes, I set it up using python setup.py install.
>
> > Any suggestions or other work arounds??? I'm at my wits end!!! Thanks
> > for any help.
>
> The safest, OS-independent and interpreted language-independent way to
> get a script like django-admin to run is to simple use:
>
>   path\to\the\interpreter\binary path\to\the\script
>
> In your case it could be:
>
>   C:\python27\python C:\path\to\django-admin startproject foo
>
> or, if you have C:\python27 in the PATH, simply:
>
>   python C:\path\to\django-admin startproject foo
>
> This is particularly true and useful in platforms like Windows where
> there is no robust/official way to associate a scripting language source
> code file to signal the OS which interpreter binary should process and
> execute it (like the #!/path/to/python line in Unix).
>
> There are a handful of third party solution and tricks (like the ones
> you tried) but from the number of times this topic appears in mailing
> lists IMHO it is evident they only muddle the landscape and/or break
> things.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Ramiro Morales

Thanks for the reply, however it didn't work. I get the exact same
thing: "Usage: django-admin.py subcommand [options] [args]" with
options below for help.


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment