Saturday, December 31, 2011

Re: django-admin.py startproject will NOT work.

On Dec 31, 6:18 pm, Bart Nagel <b...@tremby.net> wrote:
> At 2011-12-31 15:01:39 -0800, Chris Kavanagh wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > On Dec 31, 11:58 am, Bart Nagel <b...@tremby.net> wrote:
> > > What about other Python programs? Do they have the same problem?
>
> > > Put this next paragraph in a file and run it with different numbers of
> > > arguments and see what happens.
>
> > > import sys
> > > print "%d arguments" % len(sys.argv)
>
> > > Save it as args.py
>
> > > Run
> > > python args.py
> > > python args.py arg1
> > > python args.py arg1 arg2
>
> > As far as other programs, I'm not sure. I'm not a programmer (just
> > learned Python over the last few months) so I haven't tried any other
> > programs yet.
>
> > Ok, so save the paragraph in a file, then run the commands from the
> > command line EXACTLY as you have them? In other words, from command
> > line, type in Python args.py, then python args.py arg1, and python
> > args.py arg 2??
>
> > Forgive my ignorance, working from the command line with this stuff is
> > new to me. And I've never understood exactly what command line args
> > are. . .But I'm learning.
>
> The command line is the dream, you'll come to love it. Well, maybe not
> the Windows one.
>
> I guess first up just run
>     python
> and see if you get the interactive Python shell. Or maybe you need
>     python.exe
> since you're on Windows? Anyway, if you get the shell, the python
> executable is in your path and works to at least some extent. If you
> don't get the shell, and you get "command not found" or something (I
> don't have a Windows box so I don't know exactly what it would look
> like) you may need to use the full path to the executable, as people
> before have suggested.
>
> So those two lines ("import..." and "print...") make a very simple
> Python script which just outputs the number of arguments it thinks it
> was given.
>
> Invoke the script with Python just as you're meant to do for the
> Django script. On linux I just run
>     python args.py
> and it tells me "1 arguments". If I run
>     python args.py something
> it tells me "2 arguments" and so on.
>
> What behaviour do you get?
>
> The point of this is that if this python script can see the arguments
> then I can see absolutely no reason why your django-admin.py script
> would not see them, and I would be stumped.
>
> --bart

Ok, I CAN start the Python Interpreter from the command line by just
typing "python" then "enter".

I saved the file "args.py" in the Python Scripts folder. When I try to
run it from command prompt, I get the message "python: can't open
file 'args.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory".

The only way I CAN get it to open, is to change (cd into) into the
python scripts folder (where I saved args.py) then run it (type
"python args.py" in command prompt). So, obviously something is wrong.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment