Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Re: change displayed name of users object

On Jun 29, 7:43 pm, Jacob Fenwick <jacob.fenw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the link Derek.
>
> I don't think it quite does what I want.
>
> I guess I should have been more specific.
>
> I want to change how the Users object is displayed in the Django admin.
>
> This is a one line change in the Django code, but I would rather not change
> Django if I can avoid it.
>
> Is there a way to do something like subclassing the Django Users object and
> use that for authentication instead of the original Users object?
>
> Jacob
>
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 10:01 AM, derek <gamesb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jun 28, 7:54 pm, Jacob Fenwick <jacob.fenw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Is there a simple way to change the displayed name of the users object in
> > > the auth package?
>
> > > I don't care about what it's called under the hood. I just want to change
> > > what the user sees.
>
> > > I'd like to avoid changing the code directly in the Django library as
> > that
> > > will make upgrades difficult.
>
> > > I came across this article but it's quite old and I'm hoping there's a
> > > better way:
>
> > >http://www.b-list.org/weblog/2006/jun/06/django-tips-extending-user-m...
>
> > > Jacob
>
> > Have a look at:
>
> >http://bradmontgomery.blogspot.com/2010/04/pretty-options-for-djangos...
>

"This is a one line change in the Django code" - no, there is no
change to Django's code in this approach.

The "subclassing" approach is probably best done with a UserProfile;
there is lots written about that. For info related to your question,
you could start with my original question here:
http://groups.google.com/group/django-users/browse_thread/thread/d39e05a9b2d33e7b

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment