Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Re: Proper approach to updating model object with 100 attributes.

Hi Tim:

Thanks for the pointers.
I think the setattr is probably safest way to deal with the Django models.

--Ray

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Chase" <django.users@tim.thechases.com>
To: django-users@googlegroups.com
Cc: "Ray Cote" <rgacote@appropriatesolutions.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 2:03:05 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: Proper approach to updating model object with 100 attributes.

On 06/29/2010 12:01 PM, Ray Cote wrote:
> Hi List:
>
> I have a Django model with over 100 fields in it that is loaded from a data feed.
> Each row in the model has a unique field, let's call it item_id.
> When loading new data, I'm first checking to see if item_id is in the table,
> if it is, I want to update it with the new data from the new 100 fields.
>
> To date, I've done things like:
>
> obj = Model.objects.get(item_id = item_id_from_field)
>
> and then.
> obj.field1 = new_field1
> etc.
>
> However, for 100 fields, I'd like to find something a bit cleaner than listing 100 fieldnames.
> The data for the new 100 fields is in a nice dictionary.
>
> When I create a new item, I'm able to do this:
> obj = MyModel(**dictionary_of_field_values)
>
> Is there something similar I can do with my obj once the data is retrieved?

Well, you could do something like

for name, value in dictionary_of_field_values.items():
setattr(obj, name, value)

or possibly even just

obj.__dict__.update(dictionary_of_field_values)

(I'm not sure how this interacts with Django's meta-class
yumminess, but it works for regular Python classes)

-tkc


--
Ray Cote, President
Appropriate Solutions, Inc.
We Build Software
603.924.6079

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment