Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Re: Best practices for 1.5 configurable user model and profiles

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Doug <dmeehan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Shawn. So what is your take? Only authentication data in User?
> Separate Profile model and app?

I think Russell hit the main points well. Make User only what it needs
to be for identification/authentication, and put other stuff
elsewhere, unless it becomes a performance issue, in which case
selectively denormalize.

I don't know what weight my opinion carries, but I've been using
Django full-time for about four years, and I think if I made a custom
user model, it would just have e-mail (to be used for authentication),
password (mangled, of course), and the is_active flag. Anything else
is probably unnecessary for my uses, although maybe I could do with a
"name" field for a free-form name to display in logs or a greeting to
the user.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment