Thursday, September 30, 2010

Re: Django app that uploads media files and servers them through a view?

>> Is anyone aware of a Django app that lets you upload media files (not
>> necessarily in the admin site) but serves them through a view instead
>> of as static files via the web server? I need to control access to the
>> media using permissions. Thanks
>
> Serving media using views are very inefficient, but I`m facing the
> same problem; how to serve media using better suited servers like
> nginx for media but still having some way of checking
> permissions/authentication etc. ??
>
> I`m working on a project similar to Windows Home Server, where users
> can upload and backup their media and access it through a web
> interface. Serving static media using django was terrible and using
> nginx was incredibly fast, but I lost all access control to the static
> media.

Hi there,

while I don't have first-hand experience, I do remember (from
EuDjangoCon) that this can be achieved quite effectively using
perlbal's reproxy feature. It does not handle the "upload" part, but
that should not be difficult to code using Django's file upload
mechanisms or 3rd party packages.

Just my 2 cents, that's where I'd start looking if I needed this...

Cheers

Jirka

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment