Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Re: Separating application media from project media

At some point I also thought this was a good idea. This way I can
reuse the app and all its visual stuff as well.

But the problem is that for most cases you will want your templates
and media to be consistent with a site's design and look&feel. This
means that for two projects (sites) re-using the same application, the
styles/icons etc are bound to be quite different. On the one hand it
is already hard to create a template that can be reused in many
different pages/layouts (normally for each site you will have a
different base template and a specific template hierarchy, etc). And
besides including specific stylesheets... which are bound to clash
with styles from the base site...

Unless you want to do something like the admin, which really looks
like a different site and doesn't have anything to do with the rest of
your site's look & feel, but which we don't care because we don't mind
it really looking like a separate entity, since it is typically not
available to end users.

I don't know what your use case is and how you are going to tackle the
difficulties I found. I in fact went the opposite way you're going,
moving templates and styles to the project and keeping only the
functionality for the app, because the templates and styles I needed
ended up being quite coupled with the rest of the site.

I'm interested to know how you solve this, or if it matters to you.

Carles.

On 29 Set, 10:34, Benedict Verheyen <benedict.verhe...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I want to further split my application from the project.
> I've already put the templates inside the application directory.
> Now I'm thinking of doing the same with media.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment