Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Re: Help me choose OS for django server

Hi all.  Thanks to everyone for their comments.  If Debian is available, I think I like that idea for the OS.

As for server security, I think I had the basics, but there are some great points in your replies.  

@Nik:
Just following the django docs, it recommends Apache+mod_wsgi for the django app, and either lighttpd or nginx to serve media.  I liked the idea of serving media separately because the app is heavy on video streaming.  Is your suggestion to serve both the app and media using nginx?  Is this more secure?  Better performance?  Can you please point me to some docs that explain how to set up nginx for django?  Will google it in the meantime.

Thanks a whole bunch.

On Tuesday, October 30, 2012 3:50:30 PM UTC-4, Chris Pagnutti wrote:
Hi.  I want to set up a production server for a django application.  constant.com offers Virtual Private Servers which should give me virtually full control over the server, allowing me to install django and all the stuff I need for my app to run properly.

First, is this a good idea?  Do you think I can do this securely using the django, apache, and lighttpd docs? or am I asking for trouble?  What are the major security issues I need to be aware of when administering a server?

Also, if I go this route, I'll need to choose an OS.  I'm running a production server (just Apache + mod_wsgi) using my Arch Linux box, but I don't think arch is the best idea.  I'm sorta trying to decide between CentOS and Ubuntu.  Leaning toward CentOS, but just a little worried it might be missing some of the packages I need.  I've never used CentOS before.  Any advice?

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/django-users/-/Z-S0RK7YEicJ.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment