Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Re: Help me choose OS for django server



On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 7:39 PM, Chris Pagnutti <chris.pagnutti@gmail.com> wrote:
Yeah.  Hosting the videos ourselves was one of the primary requirements for this project.


On Tuesday, October 30, 2012 3:50:30 PM UTC-4, Chris Pagnutti wrote:
Hi.  I want to set up a production server for a django application.  constant.com offers Virtual Private Servers which should give me virtually full control over the server, allowing me to install django and all the stuff I need for my app to run properly.

First, is this a good idea?  Do you think I can do this securely using the django, apache, and lighttpd docs? or am I asking for trouble?  What are the major security issues I need to be aware of when administering a server?

Also, if I go this route, I'll need to choose an OS.  I'm running a production server (just Apache + mod_wsgi) using my Arch Linux box, but I don't think arch is the best idea.  I'm sorta trying to decide between CentOS and Ubuntu.  Leaning toward CentOS, but just a little worried it might be missing some of the packages I need.  I've never used CentOS before.  Any advice?

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/django-users/-/NTcYbNQTX3gJ.

To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

Hi,

It's a great idea, why submit to the beast. There's an h.264 streaming module for Apache that works quite nice, you might check out. Also check to see if you qualify to pay patent royalties, i think under 10 minutes is *gratis*. But you could deliver in webm format, it's a good *free* alternative however I find it tends to spangle the dark tones a bit, and a tad too weak in device/browser support. 

I've used Red Hat / Fedora / RHEL / CentOS since the gay 90's so I'm obviously pro-CentOS. On a personal level I feel like I'm being forced to swim in jello with water wings while using Ubuntu, but it's cozy for many folks. I understand it's popular.

Waitman Gobble
San Jose California


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment