Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Re: App namespace/packages?

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 8:57 AM, Danny W. Adair
<danny.adair@unfold.co.nz> wrote:
> Hi,
> There are "reusable" apps which provide functionality in a variety of
> contexts.
> However, some apps only make sense (because of dependencies) in the
> context of one or more other apps.
> For example, I have a relatively big piece of software consisting of
> (like a good boy) multiple apps, which work together.
> Some are "core apps", some are optional "plugin apps". The latter
> could be installed and used, but really only when the core apps are
> present.
> Nevertheless, they sit on that same top-level namespace together with
> all the other "really reusable" apps.
>
> I think a shop system is a good example, and looking at satchmo I saw
> apps called "satchmo_this" and "satchmo_that".
> I'd rather see such apps packaged up so it's clear where they belong
> to.
>
> Before posting a feature request on the issue tracker I thought I'd
> ask how other people deal with this situation?
> I'd love if all apps were in a directory "apps", and the various
> loaders allowed me to go another level.
>

An app does not have to equate to a python package. One of my projects
consists of a bunch of tightly coupled apps which are all delivered as
part of one python package. Eg, I install 'rc_nubtek', which gives me
5 django apps named 'rc_nubtek.remote', 'rc_nubtek.media',
'rc_nubtek.playerd', 'rc_nubtek.recorderd' and 'rc_nubtek.api'. These
apps aren't automatically added to INSTALLED_APPS by adding
'rc_nubtek', I list them explicitly in settings, so there is no need
for a custom loader.

Since they are so tightly coupled, it makes no sense to have them as
separate packages. There are also other packages in this project which
are not tightly coupled, and they live in their own package.

Cheers

Tom

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment