Friday, July 29, 2011

Re: Satchmo, the bloated manatee



On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Bobby Roberts <tchendrix@gmail.com> wrote:
opinions on software should never be taken personally and should never
be silenced.  I take heat over programming on a daily basis just as I
have for the past 30 years.  It's part of the business.  Good
programmers take it, grow from it and come back with a better product.

There was no slight intended toward the programmers and I doubt I'm
the only one that has ever said that this version is bloated or with
issues. I am sorry to the Satchmo team, and the <snip>sweet gentle aquatic
bovine</snip>

Lmao. That just made my day.
 
If I have caused personal insult to either.  I have used
Satchmo for over three years now and it's simply this version which I
believe perhaps was rushed. It seems to be behind the django
compatibility curve and some of the documentation is outdated as well
and not everything works as it should and needs serious tweaking to
the code to get it to even function.

Boot me out if you feel I need to be booted from the group.  However,
that would be the biggest flame to an open source board   <<<< note
this is an opinion, i'm not meaning to insult ANYONE.

I don't think anyone should be kicked just for voicing their own opinion.

How many times have we all said "omg X or Y is a bloated pos". How many times have we personally insulted many other products, such as Windows, Debian, Apache etc..? 

Whenever I build a new project, the first thing I do is show it to other developers which I trust, and ask for their honest opinion. They will quite often say to me "Cal, if you write code like this again, I will slap you". And it's this sort of advice which put me where I am today :)
 

If i'm allowed to stay, perhaps I will use the new WC3 <sarcasm> or
<opinion> tags to make things clear.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment