Sunday, July 31, 2011

Re: USE_I18N vs. USE_L10N

On 1/08/2011 8:09am, Lucy Brennan wrote:
> I read Wikipedia and Django docs. Now, after all this debate, I see
> that I _did_ understand the definitions when I first read it.
>
> Given those definitions however, the meaning of USE_I18N and USE_L10N
> are not obvious. Far, far, far from obvious. There _absolutely_ has to
> be some additional explanation of what those two settings does. How
> can you even think that it is obvious???

Can I try and summarise from the perspective of a new user? I want to
include both in my current project so I'm hoping this summary is
correct. Please correct me if I'm wrong ...

Localisation L10N - if switched on via USE_L10N = True - means try to
detect the user's browser header which reveals the region set in the
user's computer. IF detected AND if there is a
../site-packages/django/conf/locale/[xx_XX]/formats.py which corresponds
THEN django will magically translate numbers, dates and times accordingly.

Internationalisation i18n - if switched on via USE_I18N = True - means
to enable translation of string/unicode literals found in the software
PROVIDED the translation mechanism is being used AND translations of the
literals exist. This mechanism involves ugettext.py and use of the
language code deliberately selected by the user from among those on
offer which you (the developer) have made available. The ugettext
function goes off and finds the correct prepared translation file
(../site-packages/django/conf/locale/[xx_XX]/LC_MESSAGES/django.po/.mo)
and uses the literal as an index into that file and returns the
translation for display to the user. That's the django translations. For
your own software translations you have to prepare your own [app].po/.mo
file.

If there is someone with experience in this area who can comment on this
or correct it please?

Thanks

Mike


>
> So since I could not figure that out, I started looking for
> explanations. And somewhere I found, that the settings meant
> respectively: translation and localized formatting. And that is why I
> sent this post on quite a detour. Sorry about that.
>
> Do you people realize that if a newbie reads a) Wikipedia on I/L b)
> Django on I/L, c) this thread. They will still not understand what
> those two settings do!
>
> @ Russell: I would not hesitate to help writing the documentation. But
> I simply don't know what those settings do. So I can't write it.
> (tragicomic smiley)
>
> Lucy
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Django users" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/django-users/-/d9ShQzQ7tnsJ.
> To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to django-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment